Admission Criteria for Residential Facility
To the applicant:
- Please take note that Irene Homes can only admit a mentally challenged person if the person meet the criteria as spelled out below;
- As the parent/family member/guardian, you will sign the admission agreement on behalf of the mentally challenged person and will therefore be responsible for all agreements signed upon admission;
- The process that we follow in terms of screening, assessment and admission are as follows:
- Step 1: Make an appointment for a comprehensive assessment by the multi-disciplinary team. The candidate must be present at the assessment;
- Step 2: Before or on the day of admission the following documents need to be completed:
- Application for admission ;
- Medical Report completed by a Medical Practitioner.
- Step 3: If the person is a suitable candidate, she will be placed on a waiting list if Irene Homes does not have a vacant position for immediate admission;
- Step 4: The candidate will be admitted for a further 4 weeks assessment. During this period, she will be assessed in terms of her physical, emotional, psychological and social abilities as well as her ability to fit into one of the protective workshops and into the system as such;
- Step 5: After successful completion of the 4 weeks assessment period, the candidate will be assessed for a further 3 months period – the same assessment criteria as mentioned under Step 4, will be done during this period;
- Step 6: After successful completion of the 3 months period, the candidate will be admitted as a permanent resident.
Registered name: Irene Homes Address: 2 Albert Street, Irene, Pretoria, Gauteng
Telephone: 012 667 1035
Irene Homes provide the following services
2.1. Basic General Services
- Food services:
- Three nutritional meals daily and between meals snack
- Special diet if prescribed by a doctor or as indicated by Irene Home’s Professional Nurses
- Laundry services
- Cleaning of resident’s room
- Comfortable bed, including fresh linen weekly or more, if indicated
- Plan, provide and/or arrange for transportation to medical and dental appointments
- A planned activity program including arrangement for utilization of available community resources, recreation, sport, shopping, art/plays
- Notification to family/guardian and other appropriate person of resident’s needs
- A three-monthly Family and Friends Association meeting on a Saturday.
2.2. Basic Personal Services:
- Continues observation, care and supervision, as required
- Assistance in meeting necessary medical and dental needs
- Assistance with taking of prescribed medication in accordance with physician’s instructions
- Bedside care for minor temporary illnesses
Maintenance and supervision of resident’s cash resources (pocket money)
2.3. Basic Psycho-Social Services:
- Weekly psycho-social group sessions
- Individual counselling, as required
- Supervised activities in a protective workshop
- Contact between Irene Homes multi-disciplinary team and external professionals involved in residents live.
3. Requirement of the Applicant
- The applicant must be between the ages of 18 and 45 to be admitted;
- Good physical health (medical report required) when admitted;
- Applicant must have the ability to:
- Bath independently
- Dress independently
- Eat independently
- Obey house rules
- Coexist with other residents in a family-style environment
- Attend the protective workshops and partake in the activities
4. What Irene Homes can not provide:
Regretfully, Irene Homes does not have the facilities to:
- Provide life-long (long-term) medical care for applicants who are in poor health or who became frail or who needs one-on-one assistance;
- Accommodate applicants who display aggressive or disruptive behaviour;
- Accommodate applicants who have serious psychiatric disorders. Irene Homes require full disclosure of medical and psychiatric conditions and may ask for more in-depth assessments prior to admission.
5. Eviction Procedures:
Irene Homes may, upon thirty (30) days written notice to the resident/parent/guardian, evict the resident for one or more of the following reasons:
- Non-payment of the rate for services within seven (7) days of the due date;
- Failure of the resident to comply with the following written general policies of the facility which exist for the purpose of making it possible for residents to live together:
- General House rules;
- Management of violent and uncontrolled behaviour.
- Inability of the facility to meet the resident’s needs, based upon a re-assessment of the resident’s needs, the CEO of the facility and the multi-disciplinary team who performed the assessment determine that the facility is not appropriate for the resident.
- Change of use of the facility.
6. Irene Homes Visiting Policy:
It is expected from parents/guardians to visit residents regularly and taking them home during the December period is compulsory. Please see attached policy in this regard.
7. Monthly Rates:
The monthly rate is R7 147-70 (seven thousand one hundred and forty seven rand and fifty cents) and is payable by not later than the 7th of each month. If a resident leave the facility temporarily (go on leave or are in hospital), the holding rate for her room is still applicable and no refunding will be done or no monthly rate might be withhold. The fees are structured to be paid over a period of 11 months.
8. Notice of Rate Change:
If rates are increased, and that can be done on an annual basis, the resident or authorized representative will be given at least 30 days written notice of the change.
9. Application of the rules of Irene Homes:
The Rules of Irene Homes is applicable to all residents and their families/guardians and are binding with the signing of an Admission Agreement. Please see attached rules for your notice.
For further information or arrangements for assessment, please contact Dipuo Morake, Residential Care Manager at Irene Homes: 012 667 1035